In Arizona, sports and horse betting are available online and through mobile devices through advance deposit wagering (ADW) providers licensed in the state. Also, horse and harness racing is permitted but off-track betting is prohibited.
Many big horse racing betting sites offer services to Arizonans, including TwinSpires.com, TVG.com, and FanDuel Racing. These offer various bonuses such as deposit matches, free bets, and money-back guarantees to attract new customers.
Racebooks mobile apps are available on both Android and iOS devices.
You must be 21 or older to place online horse bets in Arizona.
Arizona Horse Race Betting Sites & Offers
- STAKESNew customers only.DRF Bets legal states: AL, AZ, IA, IN, KS, NH, ND, WA
- BET200New customers only. Use TwinSpires offer code to bet on Kentucky Derby, Belmont Stakes and other horse racing with free bet bonus.
- 200TVGTVG horse racing promotion is for new customers only.
How to claim a horse racing bet promo in Arizona?
Arizona Online Horse Betting Overview
|Racebooks||Welcome Offer for Arizona new players||Other Promos|
|TVG||Get up to $200 back||Get a $25 Bonus for every friend you refer|
|TwinSpires||$200 sign-up offer||Free play daily & weekly options|
|FanDuel Racing||Get a 100% bonus up to $50||10% bonus on win bets|
Arizona is a relatively liberal state when it comes to gambling, offering a mix of tribal casinos, pari-mutuel wagering, lottery games, and, of course, online betting.
The state is home to two horse racing tracks – Arizona Downs in the Prescott Valley, north of Phoenix; and Turf Paradise in Phoenix.
Rillito Park Race Track in Tucson, known as the birthplace of American quarter horse racing, closed and its future remains uncertain.
The Grand Canyon State also has live racing at two county fairs: In Santa Cruz County, southwest of Tucson, and Cochise County, a community on the Arizona-Mexico border.
Turf Paradise has most of the live racing dates, typically running from late October through the first week of May. It hosts its signature race, the Phoenix Gold Cup Handicap, in March.
Arizona also has an extensive network of off-track betting sites, which is important for reasons that will soon become clear.
Some big online wagering providers offer online services to the residents of Arizona, such as TwinSpires.com and TVG.com. But at the moment there were some significant limitations in place.
Inteersting, that Turf Paradise served as the backdrop in the 2021 movie “Jockey,” a fictional portrayal of an aging rider fighting the physical ailments that come with a lifetime in the profession. The film, starring Clifton Collins Jr., premiered at the Sundance Film Festival.
That’s because of an ongoing dispute centered around those off-track betting venues between the state and the Monarch simulcast provider currently has blacked out signals to all racetracks, OTBs, and online bettors in the state.
That means no betting on Del Mar; Gulfstream Park; Golden Gate Fields; Latin American Racing (LARC); Laurel Park; Lone Star Park; Los Alamitos (thoroughbred meetings only); Melbourne Racing Club; Monmouth Park; Pimlico; Santa Anita; Sonoma County Fair; and Timonium.
If and when that is resolved, Arizona will again be a great state in which to play the horses.
Horse racing betting features for Arizona
- TVG Arizona Features:
- TVG Expert Picks for everyday
- Free Past Performances Program
- Live streams from tracks around the US and beyond
- Money Back Special on select races
- TwinSpires Arizona Features:
- First Race Freeplay: get $100 in Free Bets
- 15% boost on a winning Trifecta bet every Tuesday
- Exacta insurance: get a bet back of up to $10
- FanDuel Arizona Features:
- Cash in with Win Bet Insurance
- Live streaming (+200 tracks around the world)
- Best bets of the day
Horse bet types available online
In Arizona, you can place different types of horse wagers. The most popular online bets are:
- Win (the horse you bet on must come first)
- Place (the horse must finish first or second)
- Show (the horse must come either first, second, or third)
- Exacta (you bet on horses to come first and second in that order)
- Quinella (the same as exacta, but horses can finish in any order for you to win the bet)
- Trifecta (three horses should finish first, second and third in that order)
- Superfecta (the same as trifecta but here you bet on four horses)
- Pick-5 (you have to choose the winner of five races in a row)
- Grand Slam – Pick a horse to finish in the top three in three straight races, capped by the winner of the fourth race in the sequence.
- Credit and Debit Cards
- ACH Bank Transfer / eCheck
- Wire Transfer
- Green Dot
- Check or Money Order
- MoneyGram: a $3.95 fee per transaction
- PayPal: deposit up to $1,000 per day; a $5 service fee.
Popular horse racing events to bet on in Arizona
- Phoenix Gold Cup
- The Kentucky Derby
- Turf Paradise Derby
- Cotton Fitzsimmons Mile
- Quarter Horse John Deere Juvenile Challenge
- Preakness Stakes
- Belmont Stakes
- Dubai World Cup
- Melbourne Cup
- Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe
- Grand National
Horse Race Tracks in Arizona
- Arizona Downs
- Turf Paradise
- Rillito Park (closed)
Arizona Online Horse Racing Betting FAQs
Yes, online horse racing wagering is legal in Arizona. Handicappers and bettors can place wagers with retail sportsbooks authorized by the Department of Gaming. The law of Arizona permits sportsbooks at horse race tracks, stadiums, and casinos. You can also place bets online and via licensed horse racing apps.
You must be 21 or older to bet on horse racing in Arizona.
Thoroughbred racing in Arizona takes place at two tracks — Arizona Downs and Turf Paradise. But you also could place a bet from the online desktop or via a mobile app. We recommend the main racebooks – TVG or TwinSpires. They are all online and legal in Arizona.
Yep, the TwinSpires app and website are available in Arizona. It’s one of the leading operators in the horse racing industry.