In New Mexico, the state legislature has not established regulations for online betting, leaving the status of online sports betting somewhat uncertain. This lack of clear regulation means that online sportsbooks cannot legally run their websites and applications within the state. For sports wagering, residents of New Mexico are limited to visiting tribal casinos to place their bets in person.
Additionally, online betting for casino games and poker is not available in New Mexico. However, there are options for online betting in other areas, such as horse racing and daily fantasy sports websites, which are accessible to residents.
New Mexico Sports Betting
In New Mexico, sports betting on tribal lands is possible due to specific provisions in the agreements, known as compacts, between the tribes and the state. This setup is distinct from other states where sports betting often involves processes like committee hearings, legislative debates, or public voting. In New Mexico, it’s the tribal compacts that form the basis for sports betting operations.
Below are the places you can place a bet in New Mexico in 2024:
Buffalo Thunder Casino
- Location: Santa Fe, NM
- Review: Thunder Race & Sportsbook at Buffalo Thunder Casino, owned by the Pueblo of Pojoaque, offers a combination of racebook and sportsbook. It features a full-service bar and large-screen monitors, making it a great place for casual and serious bettors.
Inn of the Mountain Gods
- Location: Mescalero, NM
- Review: The Sportsbook at Inn of the Mountain Gods, managed by the Mescalero Apache Tribe, provides a welcoming environment with technology powered by Caesars Sportsbook.
Isleta Resort & Casino
- Location: Albuquerque, NM
- Review: This sportsbook, owned by the Pueblo of Isleta, stands out as one of New Mexico’s largest and finest. With over 40 TVs, a full-service bar, and both kiosks and teller options, it offers a comprehensive betting experience.
Route 66 Casino
- Location: Albuquerque, NM
- Review: The Route 66 Casino, operated by the Pueblo of Laguna, rivals its Albuquerque counterpart with a full-service betting environment. Its comfortable setting is perfect for enjoying games and placing bets in a relaxed atmosphere.
Santa Ana Star Casino
- Location: Bernalillo, NM
- Review: As the first to offer legal sports betting in New Mexico, the Sportsbook at Santa Ana Star Casino is a historic venue. It provides a straightforward betting experience with both live ticket writers and kiosks for extended service hours.
New Mexico Online Sportsbooks
In New Mexico, online sports betting exists in a legal limbo, as the state does not explicitly regulate it. Consequently, online sportsbooks cannot legally operate their websites and apps in the region. For sports betting, the only option for New Mexico residents is to visit tribal casinos and place bets in person.
Furthermore, online casino games and poker are not available for betting in New Mexico. However, there are exceptions, as residents can legally place online bets for horse racing and participate in daily fantasy sports sites.
Casino games and poker are also not available for New Mexico online betting. However, when wagering in New Mexico, you place bets online for horse racing betting and daily fantasy sites.
Best Apps in New Mexico
Apps for New Mexico online betting include parimutuel wagering on horse racing and daily fantasy sites.
- TVG – Provides an excellent app to use within the region, offering a solid interface, with some of the best markets and odds. Available on both iOS and Android devices.
- FanDuel Racing App – Avilable on both iOS and Android
- DraftKings NM app – Offer an exceptional standard for daily fantasy games, covering all the major leagues. App is aesthetically pleasing and available for both iOS and Android users.
Professional Sports and Teams in New Mexico
There are no professional sports teams in New Mexico. However, the state does have a strong presence in the NCAA. The state is represented in minor league and collegiate sports, with teams like the Albuquerque Isotopes in minor league baseball and the New Mexico United in the USL Championship, a professional soccer league. In collegiate sports, the University of New Mexico and New Mexico State University field teams in a variety of sports, drawing significant local support. These teams play a crucial role in maintaining the sporting spirit and enthusiasm among the residents of New Mexico.
New Mexico Betting FAQs
Are online sports betting legal in New Mexico?
When betting in New Mexico it is not legal yet to wager on sports online, although you can visit tribal-based casinos to place a sports bet.
Are daily fantasy sites legal in New Mexico?
Yes. New Mexico online betting regulations do permit daily fantasy sites, and the leading operators in the industry are present in the region.
What is the Legal Betting Age in New Mexico?
For sports wagering in New Mexico, participants must be 21 years old or over. Bettors must be able to enter the casinos to place a bet and those venues require their customers to be 21 or over to enter. The same rules apply for parimutuel betting and daily fantasy sites.
Tax On Betting Winnings in New Mexico?
New Mexico online betting regulations stipulate that 6% of winnings and brick-and-mortar sportsbooks are liable for income tax on horse racing wagering. However, regulations are not clear whether daily fantasy sites are subject to the same level of tax.