Pari-mutuel horse racing betting (advance deposit wagering) is legal in Wyoming. In-person gambling options include pari-mutuel betting and historical horse racing machines at racetracks are also allowed.
Apart from betting on horses, Wyoming allows tribal casinos; sports betting (both at retail locations and online); bingo; pull tabs; calcuttas (an auction-type game similar to fantasy sports); and skill-based amusement games.
Virtually all providers of online betting on horse racing (ADW) accept Wyomingites as customers, including the four biggest operators – TVG.com, TwinSpires.com, NYRABets.com, and Xpressbet.com – as well as smaller players like 123Bet.com, AmWager.com, DRFBets.com, and WatchandWager.com.
These sites offer a variety of signup bonuses and reward-for-play incentives, as well as a range of ancillary handicapping products, so it pays to shop around before settling on a service.
You must be 18 or older to place online horse bets in Wyoming.
Wyoming Horse Race Betting Sites & Offers
|Racebooks||Welcome Offer for Wyoming||Other Promos|
|Nyra Bets||$200 deposit match||Odds boosters, daily offers|
|TVG||Get up to $200 back||Get a $25 Bonus for every friend you refer|
|TwinSpires||$200 sign-up offer||Free play daily & weekly options|
|Xpressbet||$100 sign-up bonus||XB Rewards loyalty program|
|123bet||$1230 new member bonus||Refer-a-Friend bonus: get $50|
|1/ST BET||$100 sign-up bonus||Rewards points every Tuesday and other weekly offers|
|AmWager||$300 deposit match||Daily cash rewards|
|FanDuel Racing||Get 100% bonus up to $50 + get a $10 Sportsbook credit||10% bonus on win bets|
|DRF||Get a $200 bonus on the first deposit||Earn up to $50 every week|
|Hollywoodraces.com||$200 sign-up Bonus||WINsurance Offers: refund up to $20|
|WatchandWager.com||Bonus up to $25||The weekly 3-2-1 Bonus, no maximum payouts on cashback|
How to claim a horse racing bet promo in Wyoming?
Horse racing betting features for Wyoming
- Nyra Bets Wyoming Features:
- Free live video streaming (HD live and replay) on Thoroughbred, Harness, and Quarter horse racing
- Free handicapping tips
- Swap positions quickly for Exacta, Tri & Supers
- Weekly live money handicapping contests with cash prizes
- TVG Wyoming Features:
- TVG Expert Picks for everyday
- Free Past Performances Program
- Live streams from tracks around the US and beyond
- Money Back Special on select races
- TwinSpires Wyoming Features:
- First Race Freeplay: get $100 in Free Bets
- 15% boost on a winning Trifecta bet every Tuesday
- Exacta insurance: get a bet back of up to $10
- Live races and highlights of previous races
- Bet Back offers (receive a refund for your bet if the horse you bet on to win the race finishes in second or third)
- Daily Double bets
- Xpressbet Wyoming Features:
- Horse racing’s leading loyalty program (receive two XB Rewards Points for every dollar you wager)
- Cash prizes in regular handicapping contests
- Deposit by mail
- Bet the horse races over the phone
- AmWager Wyoming Features:
- Current and historical horse race results from a single screen
- Advanced wagering structuring tools. Dutching, ABC method, Rank betting.
- Fair Value Exacta Grid
- FanDuel Wyoming Features:
- Cash in with Win Bet insurance
- Live streaming (+200 tracks around the world)
- Best bets of the day
- DRF Wyoming Features:
- Unlimited DRF Classic and Formulator Past Performances
- Free Beyer Speed Figures
- Free DRF expert picks
- 1/ST Bet Wyoming Features:
- Up-to-date news about upcoming races
- Unlimited access to the BETMIX products
- 123bet Wyoming Features:
- No fees Friday (deposit $10 or more via credit card or Paynearme)
- Loyalty Reward Points
- Handicapping products from Equibase
- Hollywood Races Wyoming Features:
- Free Expert Picks
- Loyalty program for top players
- Watch and Wager Wyoming Features:
- Horse Racing Contests Daily for free
- Refer-a-Friend Bonus
Horse bet types available online
In Wyoming, you can place different types of horse wagers. The most popular online bets are
- Win (the horse you bet on must come first)
- Place (the horse must finish first or second)
- Show (the horse must come either first, second, or third)
- Win Place (places a win and a place bet in one bet)
- Win Show (places a win and a show bet in one bet)
- Win Place Show (aka “across the board”; combines Win, Place, and Show into one bet)
- Exacta (you bet on horses to come first and second in that order)
- Quinella (the same as exacta, but horses can finish in any order for you to win the bet)
- Trifecta (three horses should finish first, second and third in that order)
- Superfecta (the same as trifecta but here you bet on four horses)
- Super High 5 (you have to choose the winner of five races in a row)
- Grand Slam (pick a horse to finish in the top three in three straight races, capped by the winner of the fourth race in the sequence)
- Parlays (combine multiple selections on the same ticket, even if the races aren’t in sequential order).
- Credit and Debit Cards
- ACH Bank Transfer / eCheck
- Wire Transfer
- Green Dot
- Check or Money Order
- By mail: Xpressbet & Hollywood Races
- Bitcoin: AmWager via BitPay
Wyoming Horse Betting Overview
It would be ironic if Wyoming didn’t have horse racing given its nickname as the Cowboy State.
Wyoming approved parimutuel gambling in 1967, as long as it is approved by county voters. As of 2020, 14 of the state’s 23 counties had OK’d measures to allow wagering on both live horse races and historical horse racing devices, slot-like machines based on races rather than random chance.
The state currently has three racetracks conducting a mix of thoroughbred and quarter horse racing:
Wyoming Downs near the town of Evanston typically holds racing on weekends from early June through early August. The track also offers mobile betting via United Tote’s FastBet Mobile app.
Sweetwater Downs in Rock Springs typically races on weekends from mid-July through late August.
Energy Downs in Gilette generally races from mid-May through late June.
The tracks have been adding race dates and off-track betting (OTB) locations and growing purses in recent years following the approval of the historical horse racing machines in 2003.
The machines have provided a major boost to the industry, including supporting the state’s horse breeding program, though there were several interruptions. State courts declared the devices illegal in 2006 and again in 2015, forcing operators to shut them down for several years. The machines have now been reprogrammed to address the court’s objections and in 2020 handled a total of more than $677 million.
Fun fact about horse racing in Wyoming
Through a strange set of circumstances, Sir Barton, who in 2019 became the first thoroughbred to capture what later became known as the U.S. Triple Crown by winning the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Derby in a single year, is buried in Douglas, Wyoming.
After his racing career concluded, Sir Barton turned out to be a bust as a stallion in Virginia, so his owner gave him to the U.S. Remount Service, which provided horses (and later mules and dogs) to U.S. Army units. He was sent to the Remount Station in Fort Robinson, Nebraska, where Wyoming rancher J.R. Hylton took an interest in the horse’s history and arranged to move him to his ranch in Douglas. After his death from colic in 1937, Sir Barton’s remains were interred at Washington Park in downtown Douglas, where a memorial to the first Triple Crown winner marks his grave.
Popular horse racing events to bet on in Wyoming
- Wyoming Downs Futurity
- 307 First Open Futurity
- Wyoming Downs Derby
- The Kentucky Derby
- Belmont Stakes
- Preakness Stakes
- Breeders’ Cup
- Travers Stakes
- Pacific Classic Stakes
- Haskell Invitational
- Dubai World Cup
- Melbourne Cup
- Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe
- Grand National
Horse Race Tracks in Wyoming
- Energy Downs
- Sweetwater Downs
- Wyoming Downs
- Central Wyoming Fair
Yes, you can. 18 is the minimum gambling age in Wyoming for playing online horse betting and at any of the state’s racetracks. For some OTB locations, you must be 21.
Yes, Wyoming allows horse racing betting online and through mobile apps.
All the four biggest horse racing betting sites offer services to Wyomingites, including TwinSpires.com, TVG.com, Xpressbet.com, and NyraBets.com along with some smaller online operators and betting apps like DRF or AmWager.
No, the BetMGM Horse Racing App is not allowed in Wyoming. It’s available In Ohio, Florida, and Louisiana.
Yes, OTB is legal in Wyoming. There are a lot of simulcasting facilities in the state.