Indiana law permitting parimutuel wagering allows for remote betting, so online wagering has long been allowed in Hoosier State.
All four of the biggest providers of advance-deposit wagering (ADW) – TVG.com, TwinSpires.com, Xpressbet.com, and NYRABets.com – all offer service to Indianans, as do numerous smaller operators like AmWager.com, DRFbets.com, and Watchandwager.com.
You must be 21 or older to place online horse bets in Indiana.
Indiana Horse Race Betting Sites & Offers
|Racebooks||Welcome Offer for Indiana||Other Promos|
|AmWager||$300 deposit match||Daily cash rewards|
|TVG||Get up to $200 back||Get a $25 Bonus for every friend you refer|
|TwinSpires||$200 sign-up offer||Free play daily & weekly options|
|Nyra Bets||$200 deposit match||Odds boosters, daily offer|
|Xpressbet||$100 sign-up bonus||XB Rewards loyalty program|
|FanDuel Racing||Get a 100% bonus up to $50||10% bonus on win bets|
|DRF||Get a $200 bonus on the first deposit||Earn up to $50 every week|
|1/ST BET||$100 sign-up bonus||Rewards points every Tuesday and other weekly offers|
|Pointsbet||2 Risk-Free Bets up to $2,000||Free bets for points|
|WatchandWager.com||Bonus up to $25||The weekly 3-2-1 Bonus, no maximum payouts on cashback|
How to claim a horse racing bet promo in Indiana?
Horse racing betting features for Indiana
- Nyra Bets Indiana Features:
- Free live video streaming (HD live and replay) on Thoroughbred, Harness and Quarter horse racing and race replays nationwide
- Free handicapping tips
- Swap positions quickly for Exacta, Tri & Supers
- Weekly live money handicapping contests with cash prizes
- TVG Indiana Features:
- TVG Expert Picks for everyday
- Free Past Performances Program
- Live streams from tracks around the US and beyond
- Money Back Special on select races
- Twinspires Indiana Features:
- First Race Freeplay: get $100 in Free Bets
- 15% boost on a winning Trifecta bet every Tuesday
- Exacta insurance: get a bet back of up to $10
- Live races and highlights of previous races, both on the website and the app
- Bet Back offers (receive a refund for your bet if the horse you bet on to win the race finishes in second or third)
- Daily Double bets
- Xpressbet Indiana Features:
- Horse racing’s leading loyalty program (receive two XB Rewards Points for every dollar you wager)
- Cash prizes in regular handicapping contests
- Deposit by mail
- Bet the horse races over the phone
- AmWager Indiana Features:
- Current and historical horse race results from a single screen
- Advanced wagering structuring tools. Dutching, ABC method, Rank betting.
- Fair Value Exacta Grid (allows you to quickly see exacta bets that have been over bet or under bet based on the win pool)
- FanDuel Indiana Features:
- Cash in with Win Bet insurance
- Live streaming (+200 tracks around the world)
- Best bets of the day
- DRF Indiana Features:
- Unlimited DRF Classic and Formulator Past Performances
- Free Beyer Speed Figures
- Free DRF expert picks
- 1st/bet Indiana Features:
- Up-to-date news about upcoming races
- Unlimited access to the BETMIX products: Toteboarding, Free Daily Race Analysis and ‘Race of the Day’ Past Performance
- WatchandWager.com Indiana Features:
- Horse Racing Contests Daily for free
- Refer-a-Friend Bonus
Horse bet types available online
In Indiana, you can place different types of horse wagers. The most popular online bets are
- Win (the horse you bet on must come first)
- Place (the horse must finish first or second)
- Show (the horse must come either first, second, or third)
- Win Place (places a win and a place bet in one bet)
- Win Show (places a win and a show bet in one bet)
- Win Place Show (aka “across the board”; combines Win, Place and Show into one bet)
- Exacta (you bet on horses to come first and second in that order)
- Quinella (the same as exacta, but horses can finish in any order for you to win the bet)
- Trifecta (three horses should finish first, second and third in that order)
- Superfecta (the same as trifecta but here you bet on four horses)
- Super High 5 (you have to choose the winner of five races in a row)
- Grand Slam (pick a horse to finish in the top three in three straight races, capped by the winner of the fourth race in the sequence)
- Parlays (combine multiple selections on the same ticket, even if the races aren’t in sequential order).
- Credit and Debit Cards
- ACH Bank Transfer / eCheck
- Wire Transfer
- Green Dot
- Check or Money Order
- By mail: Xpressbet
- Bitcoin: AmWager via BitPay
Indiana Horse Betting Overview
Indiana is best known as a longtime power in college basketball, but it’s also one of the bright spots on the U.S. map as far as horse racing goes.
While the sport is in retreat in many states, Indiana has seen growth in its racing and breeding industries in recent years. That’s despite competition from sports gambling, riverboat casinos, and a state lottery.
Its premier track, the newly remained Horseshoe Indianapolis (formerly Indiana Grand) in Shelbyville, is owned by casino giant Caesars and offers thoroughbred and quarter-horse racing. During its 2021 meet from mid-April to mid-November, it set records for the handle ($223.2 million), single-day handle on its signature race, the Indiana Derby ($6.3 million), and purses ($36 million). It did it, in part, by lowering takeout rates and offering a competitive product on days when the A-list tracks aren’t running.
On the breeding front, the state set marks in 2021 for purses for Indiana-bred and -sired horses ($9.1 million), a record for the highest amount of money paid in breeders awards ($3,274,045), a record number of Thoroughbred Breed Development races run (400), and a record for the highest amount of money paid in stallion awards ($777,205).
In addition to Horseshoe Indianapolis, the state offers standardbred pacers at Harrah’s Hoosier Park in Anderson from late March into early December, and trotters at the Nappanee Raceway from May through October.
Fun fact about horse racing in Indiana
The most famous Indiana-bred horse of all time is Dan Patch, a standardbred pacer born in 1896. The horse became a major celebrity after setting at least 14-speed records during his racing career, and in his later years was used to draw crows by performing time trials and traveling ed extensively on exhibitions.
Hoosier Park runs a race named in his honor annually in August.
Popular horse racing events to bet on in Indiana
- The Indiana Derby
- The Monument Circle
- The Carl Erskine
- The Hoosier Park Pacing Derby
- The Kentucky Derby
- Belmont Stakes
- Preakness Stakes
- Breeders’ Cup
- Royal Ascot
- Cheltenham Festival
- Travers Stakes
- Santa Anita Handicap
- Arkansas Derby
- Pacific Classic Stakes
- Haskell Invitational
- Dubai World Cup
- Melbourne Cup
- Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe
- Grand National
Horse Race Tracks in Indiana
- Horseshoe Indianapolis
- Harrah’s Hoosier Park Racing & Casino
- The Nappanee Raceway
No. In Indiana, the minimum age for betting horse and greyhound racetracks is 21.
Yes, it is legal to bet on horse racing online and via mobile apps in Indiana.
All four of the biggest online wagering providers – TVG.com, TwinSpires.com, Xpressbet.com, and NYRABets.com are available in Indiana.