Online sports betting is legal in more than 20 states in the United States, though in some of them, you can only wager in person. For example, Caesars sportsbook is available in AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, LA, MI, NJ, NY, OH, TN, VA, and WV.
Here is the list of the best-rated online sportsbooks legally operating in the USA in 2023. Top sports betting sites are betMGM, BetRivers, Caesars Sportsbook, bet365, and more betting apps (Android, iOS).
Most Trusted Online Sportsbooks in the USA
- The bonus is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a PointsBet sportsbook account and claim a sign-up promo.PointsBet legal states: CO, IL, IN, IA, MI, KS, LA, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV, OH
- The offer is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a DraftKings sportsbook account and claim a welcome bonus.DraftKings legal states: AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY
- The bonus is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a Hard Rock sportsbook account and claim a welcome promotion.Hard Rock legal states: AZ, IN, TN, VA
- The promotion is for new Borgata sportsbook customers in NJ and PA only. You must be 21 or over to claim your welcome offer.Borgata legal states: NJ, PA
- The promotion is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a Barstool sportsbook app account and claim your welcome offer.Barstool legal states: OH, PA, NJ, MI, VA, CO, IL, TN, WV, AZ, LA, IN, IA, KS
- The bonus is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a Unibet sportsbook app account and claim a sign-up promo.Unibet legal states: NJ, PA, VA, IN, AZ
- The bonus is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to open a WynnBet sportsbook app account and claim a welcome promo.WynnBet legal states: AZ, CO, IN, LA, MI, NJ, NY, TN, VA, OH (2023)
- The promo is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a bet365 sportsbook account.Bet365 legal states: NJ, CO, OH (2023)
- CZRFULLThe bonus is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a Caesars sportsbook account and claim a sign-up offer.Caesars Sportsbook legal states: AZ, AR, CO, DE, IA, IL, IN, MS, OR, MT, TN, NH, NC, NV, NJ, NM, NY, MI, MD, OH, PA, RI, WV.
- OFBTMGMThe bonus is for new depositing customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a betMGM sportsbook account and receive a welcome offer.BetMGM legal states: AZ, CO, DC, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MI, MS, NV, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY, OH
Find Legit Sportsbook Site: Where is Online Sports Betting Legal?
|U.S. State||Legal Online Sports Betting|
|Florida||In legal limbo|
|Georgia||Expected during 2023|
|Oklahoma||Expected during 2023|
|Kentucky||Expected during 2023|
|Maine||By Q4 2023|
|Nebraska||By Q4 2023|
|North Carolina||Expected during 2023|
States that Allow Sports Betting
The following states currently offer legal and regulated sports betting in the USA, both retail and online, including wagering on NBA, NFL, NHL games and top events such as Super Bowl, Kentucky Derby, March Madness, U.S. Open and more:
Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming. The District of Columbia also provides legal and regulated betting on sports.
Mississippi limits sports betting to retail sites located inside state licensed casinos. North Carolina offers limited sports betting on site at tribal casinos. New Mexico tribal casinos are also offering sports betting via an existing gaming compact.
Other States on the Horizon
Ohio has passed a sports betting bill. The Buckeye State is expected to launch legal and regulated sports betting early in 2023. Maine has also legalized sports betting, with the launch in that state anticipated sometime around the middle of 2023. Maryland and Nebraska have also signed sports betting bills into law but no launch date is currently being projected.
California is including a yes or no referendum on the legalization of sports betting across the state as part of the November 2022 midterm elections.
US Online Sports Betting Laws
Some US states had been eyeing up sports betting legislation since 2013 when New Jersey, Delaware and Nevada legalized online casinos.
However, it wasn’t until 2018 when the Supreme Court overturned PASPA (Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act) 1992, a federal law banning betting on single games. With the law gone, individual states were free to legalize full betting on sports.
In 2022, there are many states that now offer legal and regulated sports betting. Some states issue licenses to online operators working in partnership with existing land-based casinos. Some states that have no brick ‘n mortar sportsbooks offer mobile-only betting options.
In addition, many states allow betting on college sports. However, there are some restrictions, particularly on college sides playing in their home state.
How to Pick and Sign up with Online Sportsbooks
All of the top online sports betting sites will offer NBA, MLB, NHL, UFC and more wagering options, although some sportsbooks will provide more extensive coverage of hockey betting markets than others. BetMGM, FanDuel, The Stars Group, Bally Bet and DraftKings, for instance, are official sports betting partners of the NBA, so you can count on plenty of basketball betting markets and good odds from those sites.
A big part of choosing which betting site to go with will involve assessing their signup bonus offer. All online sports betting sites offer lucrative signup bonuses. For example, BetRivers delivers a $500 matching first deposit bonus. Caesars grants a risk-free first bet worth up to $1,500 – the offers depend on the state.
Another element to weigh in the decision regarding the choice of an online sportsbook is what do they do for their long-time customers? All legal US betting sites will entice new players with signup offers, but the best sites will keep delivering to the players via promotional opportunities. Many of these sites will deliver odds boosts on online bets in order to make the juice on these wagers more enticing.
USA 10 Best Online Sports Betting Sites
- caesars sports
- sbk sportsbook
- bally bet
What are the best sites for online sports betting in the USA? In 2023, the top legal sportsbooks list includes betMGM, Betrivers, Caesars, DraftKings, PointsBet and bet365. You must be 21+ to palce bets online.