Drawing upon extensive industry knowledge and authoritative expertise, we can confirm that online sports betting is now legal in over 30 states across the United States. However, it’s noteworthy that certain states permit sports wagering strictly in person.
Take, for example, Caesars sportsbook. It operates legally in a range of states, including Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Informed by our thorough analysis and deep understanding of the betting landscape, we’ve compiled a list of the top-rated online sportsbooks that are legally accessible in the USA in 2023. These include highly reputable sites such as betMGM, BetRivers, and Caesars Sportsbook, as well as global powerhouse bet365, among several other sports betting apps (compatible with both Android and iOS platforms).
Our expertise ensures that the information provided is reliable, giving you the confidence to explore these platforms for a seamless betting experience.
Leading Online Sports Betting Sites – US Best Legal Sportsbook Apps
- Caesars Sports
- SBK Sportsbook
- Bally Bet
What are the best sites for online sports betting in the USA? In 2023, the top legal sportsbooks list includes betMGM, Betrivers, Caesars, DraftKings, PointsBet, and bet365. You must be 21+ to palce bets online.
Most Trusted Online Sportsbooks in the USA
- BetRivers Bonus Code USBTRV for Free BetsUSBTRVThe bonus deal is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a BetRivers sportsbook account and claim a welcome offer, including free bets.BetRivers legal states: AZ, CO; MI, WV, NJ, OH, PA, CT, IA, NY, VA, IL, IN, LA
- BetMGM Sportsbook New Customer Bonus: up to $1,000T&C apply. 21+. Read BetMGM ReviewUSDOTBETThe bonus is for new depositing customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a betMGM sportsbook account and receive a welcome offer.BetMGM legal states: AZ, CO, DC, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MI, MS, NV, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY, OH
- Caesars Sportsbook Bonus: Get up to 1,250 in Free Bet.CZRFULLThe bonus is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a Caesars sportsbook account and claim a sign-up offer.Caesars Sportsbook legal states: AZ, AR, CO, DE, IA, IL, IN, MS, OR, MT, TN, NH, NC, NV, NJ, NM, NY, MI, MD, OH, PA, RI, WV.
- bet365 Bonus – Get $200 in Free BetT&C apply. 21+. Read Bet365 ReviewThe promo is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a bet365 sportsbook account.Bet365 legal states: NJ, CO, OH, VA
- WynnBET Sportsbook Promo – Get up to $100 in Free BetT&C apply. 21+. Read WynnBet ReviewThe bonus is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to open a WynnBet sportsbook app account and claim a welcome promo.WynnBet legal states: AZ, CO, IN, LA, MI, NJ, NY, TN, VA, OH (2023)
- PointsBet Promo – Get up to $500 in Free BetThe bonus is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a PointsBet sportsbook account and claim a sign-up promo.PointsBet legal states: CO, IL, IN, IA, MD, MI, KS, LA, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, WV
- Unibet Sportsbook Bonus: $100 Deposit MatchT&C apply. 21+. Read Unibet ReviewThe bonus is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a Unibet sportsbook app account and claim a sign-up promo.Unibet legal states: NJ, PA, VA, IN, AZ
- Barstool Bonus: Free Bet Up to $1,000The promotion is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a Barstool sportsbook app account and claim your welcome offer.Barstool legal states: OH, PA, NJ, MI, VA, CO, IL, TN, WV, AZ, LA, IN, IA, KS
- Borgata Sportsbook Bonus: up to $100T&C apply. 21+. Read Borgata ReviewThe promotion is for new Borgata sportsbook customers in NJ and PA only. You must be 21 or over to claim your welcome offer.Borgata legal states: NJ, PA
- DraftKings Sports Bonus: Match Bonus of up to $1,000The offer is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a DraftKings sportsbook account and claim a welcome bonus.DraftKings legal states: AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY
- Hard Rock Sports Bonus: Bet $50 earn a prize up to $5,000The bonus is for new customers only. You must be 21 or over to set up a Hard Rock sportsbook account and claim a welcome promotion.Hard Rock legal states: AZ, IN, TN, VA
Where is Online Sports Betting Legal in the USA?
|U.S. State||Legal Online Sports Betting|
|Florida||In legal limbo|
|Georgia||Expected during 2023|
|Oklahoma||Expected during 2023|
|Kentucky||Expected during 2023|
|Maine||By Q4 2023|
|Nebraska||By Q4 2023|
|North Carolina||Expected during 2023|
States that Allow Online Sports Betting
The following states currently offer legal and regulated sports betting in the USA, both retail and online, including wagering on NBA, NFL, NHL games and top events such as Super Bowl, Kentucky Derby, March Madness, U.S. Open, and more:
Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming. The District of Columbia also provides legal and regulated betting on sports.
Mississippi limits sports betting to retail sites located inside state licensed casinos. North Carolina offers limited sports betting on site at tribal casinos. New Mexico tribal casinos are also offering sports betting via an existing gaming compact.
Ohio has passed a sports betting bill, and The Buckeye State launched legal and regulated sports betting early in 2023. Maine has also legalized sports betting, with the launch in that state anticipated sometime around the middle of 2023. Nebraska has also signed a sport betting bill into law, but no launch date is currently being projected.
Some US states had been eyeing up sports betting legislation since 2013 when New Jersey, Delaware and Nevada legalized online casinos.
However, it was not until 2018 when the Supreme Court overturned PASPA (Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act) 1992, a federal law banning betting on single games. With the law gone, individual states were free to legalize full betting on sports.
In 2023, there are many states that now offer legal and regulated sports betting. Some states issue licenses to online operators working in partnership with existing land-based casinos. Some states that have no brick and mortar sportsbooks offer mobile-only betting options.
In addition, many states allow betting on college sports. However, there are some restrictions, particularly on college sides playing in their home state.
How to Pick and Sign up with Online Sportsbooks
All of the top online sports betting sites will offer NBA, MLB, NHL, UFC and more wagering options, although some sportsbooks will provide more extensive coverage of hockey betting markets than others. BetMGM, FanDuel, The Stars Group, Bally Bet, and DraftKings, for instance, are official sports betting partners of the NBA, so you can count on plenty of basketball betting markets and good odds from those sites.
A big part of choosing which betting site to go with will involve assessing their signup bonus offer. All online sports betting sites offer lucrative signup bonuses. For example, BetRivers delivers a $500 matching first deposit bonus. Caesars grants a risk-free first bet worth up to $1,500: the offers depend on the state.
Another element to weigh in the decision regarding the choice of an online sportsbook is what do they do for their long-time customers? All legal US betting sites will entice new players with signup offers, but the best sites will keep delivering to the players via promotional opportunities. Many of these sites will deliver odds boosts on online bets in order to make the juice on these wagers more enticing.